Latest news
Thumbnail
Afghanistan

Ghani Orders Full Probe Into Deadly Bombing

UNAMA has also stated that its human rights workers are on the ground establishing facts after 40 people were killed in the attack. 

President Ashraf Ghani has strongly condemned Thursday's deadly suicide bombing in Kabul and has ordered a thorough probe into the incident. 

UNAMA also strongly condemned Thursday's attack on the Tebyan cultural center which resulted in the death of at least 40 people. 

In a statement on Twitter, UNAMA said preliminary reports indicate high civilian casualty numbers. The Mission's human rights workers are on ground establishing facts, the statement read.

Thursday's deadly attack was carried out by at least two suicide bombers against the Iranian-linked Shia cultural center and AVA news agency in Pul-e-Sokhta in Kabul city at about 10.30am. 

The Presidential Palace also issued a statement via Twitter and said: "Terrorist groups and their backers must know that the Afghan people are united and stand firm to any plot carried out by their enemies; these heinous attacks will not break the resolve of the Afghan people.

The Presidential Palace went on to say: "The Afghan government reiterates that it is firmly committed to dismantle and eliminate terrorism; the Afghan Security Forces are in the front lines to safeguard their country and people."

In conclusion, the statement said President Ashraf Ghani has instructed authorities to fully investigate the attack and pay serious attention to the wounded and families of the victims. 

Officials said earlier Thursday that the victims had been most civil society activists who had come together for a meeting at the center.

Early reports also indicated that multiple explosions were heard at the time of the attack. Officials said that the attackers used hand-grenades before blowing themselves up.

Among the dead are women, children and journalists.

Reporting from Istiqlal hospital after the incident, TOLOnews reporter Anisa Shaheed said dozens of frantic people were searching for their relatives. She said one family lost three of its members in the bombing.

The Taliban were meanwhile quick to distance themselves from the bombing and denied any involvement in the incident.

The US Ambassador John R. Bass in a statement condemned the suicide attack in Kabul. 

“I strongly condemn today’s horrific and indiscriminate attack on civilians at a cultural and social center in Kabul,” he said. “We remain confident the Afghan government and people, supported by their friends and partners, will defeat those behind these terrible acts.”

The United States continues to stand with all Afghans in their pursuit of peace, security, and prosperity, the statement said.

Afghanistan

Ghani Orders Full Probe Into Deadly Bombing

UNAMA has also stated that its human rights workers are on the ground establishing facts after 40 people were killed in the attack. 

Thumbnail

President Ashraf Ghani has strongly condemned Thursday's deadly suicide bombing in Kabul and has ordered a thorough probe into the incident. 

UNAMA also strongly condemned Thursday's attack on the Tebyan cultural center which resulted in the death of at least 40 people. 

In a statement on Twitter, UNAMA said preliminary reports indicate high civilian casualty numbers. The Mission's human rights workers are on ground establishing facts, the statement read.

Thursday's deadly attack was carried out by at least two suicide bombers against the Iranian-linked Shia cultural center and AVA news agency in Pul-e-Sokhta in Kabul city at about 10.30am. 

The Presidential Palace also issued a statement via Twitter and said: "Terrorist groups and their backers must know that the Afghan people are united and stand firm to any plot carried out by their enemies; these heinous attacks will not break the resolve of the Afghan people.

The Presidential Palace went on to say: "The Afghan government reiterates that it is firmly committed to dismantle and eliminate terrorism; the Afghan Security Forces are in the front lines to safeguard their country and people."

In conclusion, the statement said President Ashraf Ghani has instructed authorities to fully investigate the attack and pay serious attention to the wounded and families of the victims. 

Officials said earlier Thursday that the victims had been most civil society activists who had come together for a meeting at the center.

Early reports also indicated that multiple explosions were heard at the time of the attack. Officials said that the attackers used hand-grenades before blowing themselves up.

Among the dead are women, children and journalists.

Reporting from Istiqlal hospital after the incident, TOLOnews reporter Anisa Shaheed said dozens of frantic people were searching for their relatives. She said one family lost three of its members in the bombing.

The Taliban were meanwhile quick to distance themselves from the bombing and denied any involvement in the incident.

The US Ambassador John R. Bass in a statement condemned the suicide attack in Kabul. 

“I strongly condemn today’s horrific and indiscriminate attack on civilians at a cultural and social center in Kabul,” he said. “We remain confident the Afghan government and people, supported by their friends and partners, will defeat those behind these terrible acts.”

The United States continues to stand with all Afghans in their pursuit of peace, security, and prosperity, the statement said.

Share this post