News - Afghanistan
Local officials reported that three women were killed in twin roadside bomb blasts in southern Helmand province Friday evening. Another woman was injured.
The first incident happened when a car was struck by a roadside bomb in the Sangin district, killing three women, said Omer Zwak, the provincial governor's spokesman.
Later in the evening, another roadside bomb struck a car in the Nakrzo district, injuring a woman, he said.
The victims were all rushed to a nearby hospital to receive emergency care, however, only the woman struck in the Nakrzo blast survived.
No one has yet claimed responsibility for the attacks. However, Taliban insurgents frequently use improvised explosive devices along the sides of roads to target Afghan and Nato forces.
Last month, the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) held a press conference in Kabul and released its mid-year report titled-"Mid-Year Report (2013) on Civilian Casualties Due to Armed Conflict in Afghanistan." The report cited a whopping 23 percent increase in civilian casualties as a result of armed conflicts in Afghanistan.
Escalating deaths and injuries to Afghan children, women and noncombatant men led to 23 percent surge in civilian casualties in the first six months of 2013 compared to the same period in 2012. The mid-year report documented 1,319 civilian deaths and 2,533 injuries (3,852 casualties) from January to June 2013, marking a 14 percent increase in deaths, 28 percent increase in injuries and 23 percent increase in total civilian casualties compared to the same period in 2012.
The UNAMA attributed 74 percent of civilian deaths and injuries to anti-government elements, nine percent to pro-government Forces and 12 percent to ground engagements between pro-government forces and anti-government elements. The remaining four percent of civilian casualties remained unattributed caused mainly by explosive remnants of war.
The report stated that Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) used by anti-government elements caused the most civilian casualties similar to previous periods. Increased ground engagement between Afghan forces and anti-government elements was the second leading cause of civilian deaths and injuries representing a new trend in the first half of 2013 and an increased threat to Afghan civilians.