News - Afghanistan
The double suicide attack in Maiden Wardak province on Saturday was the work of the militant Haqqani Network, according to Isaf.
The top US and Nato commander in Afghanistan Gen. John Allen said that Nato believes that Haqqani is behind the Wardak attack which killed 12 people and injured at least 59 others.
"We believe this attack bears the mark of the Haqqani network, which continues to target and kill innocent Afghans and blatantly violates Afghan sovereignty," the Isaf commander said in a statement Saturday.
"A number of Afghan civilians were killed and wounded by vehicle-borne improvised explosive devices (IED) near a combined Afghan National Security Force and International Security Assistance Force base in Sayed Abad district of Wardak province today," he added.
While the attack did not breach the base's walls, the blasts caused widespread damage to the surrounding civilian Sayed Abad area with large numbers of Afghan civilian casualties.
It happened at about 6:00 AM local time when the two suicide boomers targeted the governor compound and a Nato outpost, provincial spokesman Shahiddullah Shahid told TOLOnews Saturday morning.
"A suicide bomber on foot detonated his explosives near the gate of the base in the district in a bazaar, opening the way for a suicide bomber in a truck that followed him, killing 12 including four policemen and injuring 59 others, alongside seven other police" he said.
Most of the victims were sent for treatment to Kabul. No Nato staff were killed, but three Afghan intelligence employees and two Nato soldiers were injured in the attack, Shahid added.
Insurgents attacked the same Nato outpost last year, killing five Afghans and injuring several American soldiers.