News - Afghanistan
At least 48 insurgents and a suicide bomber were killed in separate operations by Afghan security forces in southern Helmand province, a local official said on Monday.
Nine other insurgents were detained and two local policemen have been injured in the raids over the past three-days, the provincial Police Chief Gen. Abdul Nabi Elham said.
"Operation were launched in several parts of the province to push back the insurgents and 48 militants have been killed so far," Gen. Elsam said.
Nearly 30 Kalashnikovs, 100 roadside bombs and improvised explosive devices have been seized by Afghan forces in the in the clearance operations, according the police chief.
The Afghan-led operation was launched as the US surge's withdrawal comes to an end in Afghanistan. One third of the 3,000 US troops, who were sent part of the President Obama's military surge, were based in Helmand province.
Local officials said no civilians were killed or wounded in the Helmand operations.
Meanwhile in the neighbouring Uruzgan province, four civilians were injured when Afghan forces shot a suicide bomber whose explosives were detonated after he was gunned down.