MOD Calls for Public Trial of Suspected Army Killers
 
Print
Print

News - Afghanistan

alt

The police officers charged with killing three Afghan National Army (ANA) officers last month should be publicly prosecuted, Ministry of Defense (MOD) spokesman General Zahir Azimi said on Tuesday.

Azimi said the trial of the police officers who allegedly shot and killed the ANA soldiers a day before Eid al-Adha in eastern Baghlan province should be public, but did not elaborate on his reasons.

"This incident is under investigation. We want a public prosecution for this case," Azimi said at a press briefing in Kabul.

The suspect policemen claim that their commander ordered them to shoot the soldiers.

Azimi also said at the briefing that the Afghan National Security Forces were ready to take responsibility of the country's security by the end of 2013.

"The Afghan security forces are able to take over all security responsibility by the end of 2013," he said.

This comes as the French combat troops handed over all security responsibilities or north-eastern province Kapisa to the Afghan security forces on Tuesday ahead of their final departure from the country.

Nightly News

TOLOnews Poll

Will the agreement between the two presidential candidates solve the election issue for announcing of final result?