Local officials said the Taliban suffered a record number of casualties during the course of the year.
2017 Was A Deadly Year For Taliban In Helmand
Over 2,000 Taliban fighters were killed and wounded during the course of last year in Helmand province, local officials said on Monday.
Provincial governor Hayatullah Hayat said that 2017 was one of the deadliest years for the Taliban after Afghan security forces used everything at their disposal to repel major Taliban offensives.
“We have inflicted over 2,000 casualties to the enemy during the operations,” said Hayat.
But, officials from Helmand provincial council have said that the Taliban are still recruiting new members from among the local youth.
“There are no job opportunities for the people in Helmand, therefore some people join the Taliban,” said Attaullah Afghan, chairman of Helmand’s provincial council.
Residents in the province have said Helmand must be cleared of insurgents.
“I don’t think that there are 2,000 Taliban fighters in the whole of Helmand,” said one resident Abdul Haq Zuwakman.
This statement comes as Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) continue to tackle a resurgent Taliban on multiple fronts across the province.