In one of the bloodiest weeks for Afghanistan, over 220 civilians and security force members were killed in a spate of deadly insurgent attacks.
Attacks In Past Few Days Kill Over 200 People
Insurgent attacks – by both Taliban and Daesh – have had a devastating impact on the country in the past few days, leaving over 220 civilians and military personnel dead and hundreds more wounded.
While the Ministry of Defense has assured the public that plans are in place to suppress the activities of insurgent groups, Anwar-ul-Haq Ahadi, chairman of The New National Front Party, has said recent incidents are indicative of the national unity government’s failure and that those leading the war operations are not experienced.
“They (government) have given the main security positions to those who do not have experience and do not have the expertise; some of these failures have come about because of these inexperienced people,” Ahadi said.
Afghanistan has witnessed the bloodiest week in years – with numerous events having claimed the lives of civilians, soldiers, women and children.
In the latest attack – on Saturday – at the entrance gate to the Marshal Fahim Military Academy, near Qambar square in Kabul, fifteen cadets were killed when the bus they were traveling in was targeted in a suicide bombing.
This comes after Taliban targeted numerous military facilities in different parts of the country in the days preceding this.
On Friday, attacks on two mosques, one in Kabul and one in Ghor, left at least 59 people dead and many others wounded.
Meanwhile last week’s deadly attack on police headquarters in Paktia province killed about 70 people, including 59 Afghan security force members and provincial police chief Torialai Abdyani.
According to sources, the casualty toll in the past week is as follows:
Saturday’s attack on Ministry of Defense (MoD) cadets in Kabul:
- 15 cadets killed
- 4 cadets wounded
Friday’s attack on Imam Zaman Mosque in Dast-e-Barchi in Kabul:
- about 70 civilians killed
- 55 civilians wounded
Attack on mosque in Ghor province on Friday:
- 10 civilians killed
- 20 civilians wounded
Thursday’s attack on a base in the Maiwand district of Kandahar:
- 43 soldiers killed
- 9 soldiers wounded
Tuesday’s attack in Paktia on the police headquarters:
- Over 50 soldiers and civilians killed
- Over 150 civilians and soldiers wounded
Monday’s attack on Andar district of Ghazni province:
- 28 soldiers killed
- 18 soldiers wounded
- 5 civilians killed
- 40 civilians wounded
Critics have lashed out and said the scale of these attacks is directly linked to the inefficiency of the intelligence sectors.
“We are at the very low level of intelligence and unfortunately the enemy has influence in security institutions,” said Jawed Kohistani a former military officer.
In the past five days, the use of government-owned armored vehicles has led to bloody attacks, but the Ministry of Defense (MoD) once again speaks of the elimination of threats by terrorists.
“Ministry of defense works hard to prevent such attacks and our intelligence sectors are working actively in order to prevent such attacks,” MoD spokesman Dawlat Waziri said.