The Ministry of Public Health has confirmed 29 people were killed and 52 wounded in Wednesday's deadly bombing in PD3 in Kabul.
This came after the Ministry of Interior confirmed a suicide bomber detonated his explosives close to the Ali Abad Hospital and Kabul University at around mid-day.
The MoI also confirmed that a suicide bomber had detonated his explosives while walking among a group of people.
Istiqlal Hospital's chief, Saber Naseeb, confirmed that 19 wounded people had been taken to his hospital, while the Emergency hospital said seven victims were being treated in their surgical unit.
Naseeb said at leave five victims at Istiqlal were in critical condition.
TOLOnews journalists reporting from the scene soon after the explosion said they saw many bodies lying on the ground.
The area was immediately cordoned off by security forces and dozens of ambulances were seen ferrying victims to hospitals.
The explosion happened on the first day of Nawroz, the Persian new year.
Kabul's acting police chief, Dawood Amin, said a Nawroz event had been held in the area ahead of the bombing.
He said police had received reports of a threat against the event but had ramped up security in the area. However, the suicide bomber detonated his explosives among a group of pedestrians some distance from where the event was held.
Condemnation of the incident, on Nawroz, poured in shortly after the incident.
In a statement issued by the Presidential Palace, President Ashraf Ghani condemned the attack and expressed his condolences to the families of the victims.
He also directed officials to ensure all the wounded were given the necessary medical treatment.
The UK embassy in Kabul said on Twitter: "Our thoughts with all those affected by today's awful violence in Kabul; the new year renews our steadfast commitment to work for a stable, safer Afghanistan."
Daesh has claimed responsibility for the incident.