In a meeting that was broadcast live on TV, the interior minister lashed out at a senior Kabul police general, calling him “incompetent”.
Barmak Slams Police General Over Kabul Rocket Attack
Interior Minister Wais Ahmad Barmak on Thursday held a meeting with senior ministry and police officials to discuss Tuesday’s rocket attack on Kabul, which was launched during the president’s Eid message.
In a live broadcast of the meeting, officials were seen giving the minister a report back on the attack – that happened on the first day of Eid-al-Adha.
While Kabul police’s deputy chief of security affairs Gen. Mohammad Sadiq Muradi was explaining the situation an argument broke out between him and Barmak.
Muradi said he had on numerous occasions contacted the minister’s office to set up a meeting with the minister in order to discuss problems on the ground. He said however that “no one has listened to our requests.”
Barmak then accused Muradi of being incompetent and told him to “sit down incompetent general”.
Muradi responded by saying he was not incompetent – the two then argued for a few seconds over this.
As Muradi stepped off the podium to return to his seat, Barmak continued to shout out “sit, sit, what rubbish are you talking!”
Once Muradi took his seat, Barmak calmed down and when asked by the general what should he have done, Barmak stated that a thorough inspection of Police District (PD) 1 should have been carried out around the Presidential Palace ahead of Eid.
The meeting on Thursday, at the ministry of interior, aimed to review Tuesday’s attack and to find out where the security lapses had been.
Barmak had said that the attack was simply due to negligence on the part of security forces and that the situation needed to be thoroughly investigated.
The minister also said all Kabul intelligence agencies need to be held accountable for this attack. He said that ten days have been set aside for the investigation and that the probe team will report their findings to the president.
The video of the argument meanwhile soon went viral and sparked a major outcry against the minister.
Facebook users around the country slammed him and accused him of being incompetent.
Twitter users did the same.
On Friday, sources said the attackers had been stationed in Sarai Maahi, a market near Eidgah Mosque in PD1 of Kabul, three days before the attack.
The sources who wished not to be named said the attackers had been in possession of light and heavy weapons and had been speaking Farsi and Arabic.
Following the attack, Resolute Support spokesman Lt. Colonel Martin O’Donnell said nine insurgents had been involved in the attack and that at least 30 mortar rounds had been fired at areas around the Presidential Palace.