Latest news
Thumbnail
Afghanistan

Two Dead, 12 Wounded In Save The Children Attack

The Nangarhar Provincial Governor’s spokesman Attaullah Khoghyani said at about 1pm on Wednesday that so far two people are confirmed dead and 12 wounded in the ongoing attack on Save The Children offices in Jalalabad in Nangarhar. 

Khoghyani said one security force member and one civilian have been killed in the attack that started at 9am this morning. 

Dozens of special forces converged on the area earlier this morning in a bid to bring the situation under control. 

About three hours after the attack was launched, Save The Children voiced their concerns about the safety of their staff who were reportedly trapped in the building. 

In a tweet, the aid agency said: "We are devastated at the news that our SCI office in Jalalabad city, Afghanistan came under attack this morning. Our primary concern is for the safety and security of our staff. We are awaiting further information and cannot comment further at this time."  

During the siege, Afghanistan’s CEO Abdullah Abdullah sent out a press release and said such attacks show insurgents do not care and just want to create terror among the people. 

He said that by carrying out such attacks, insurgents will not weaken the people’s determination. 

He also said that all security forces across the country have been ordered to “not show sympathy to insurgents and to eliminate them”. 

Abdullah went on to say that the National Unity Government still calls for peace talks.

The Swedish ambassador to Afghanistan was also one of the first to condemn the attack. Tobias Thyberg said via Twitter: “We pay tribute to those who saved innocent lives, and express our deep sorrow for the dead, the wounded and their families. This mad violence will not break Afghanistan.

“Attacking those who risk their lives to bring development and humanitarian aid to Afghanistan is an unacceptable crime against international law and an affront to the people of Afghanistan and their friends. Our thoughts go out to Jalalabad”.

UNAMA also condemned the attack via Twitter and said “looking into reports of attack outside @save_children Jalalabad. Attacks directed at civilians or aid organizations are clear violations of international humanitarian law and may amount to war crimes.”

The Taliban was quick to distance themselves from the attack. However, Daesh claimed responsibility for the incident late Wednesday afternoon. 

Afghanistan

Two Dead, 12 Wounded In Save The Children Attack

Almost five hours into the attack on the aid agency in Jalalabad, officials have confirmed the situation has not yet been brought under control. 

Thumbnail

The Nangarhar Provincial Governor’s spokesman Attaullah Khoghyani said at about 1pm on Wednesday that so far two people are confirmed dead and 12 wounded in the ongoing attack on Save The Children offices in Jalalabad in Nangarhar. 

Khoghyani said one security force member and one civilian have been killed in the attack that started at 9am this morning. 

Dozens of special forces converged on the area earlier this morning in a bid to bring the situation under control. 

About three hours after the attack was launched, Save The Children voiced their concerns about the safety of their staff who were reportedly trapped in the building. 

In a tweet, the aid agency said: "We are devastated at the news that our SCI office in Jalalabad city, Afghanistan came under attack this morning. Our primary concern is for the safety and security of our staff. We are awaiting further information and cannot comment further at this time."  

During the siege, Afghanistan’s CEO Abdullah Abdullah sent out a press release and said such attacks show insurgents do not care and just want to create terror among the people. 

He said that by carrying out such attacks, insurgents will not weaken the people’s determination. 

He also said that all security forces across the country have been ordered to “not show sympathy to insurgents and to eliminate them”. 

Abdullah went on to say that the National Unity Government still calls for peace talks.

The Swedish ambassador to Afghanistan was also one of the first to condemn the attack. Tobias Thyberg said via Twitter: “We pay tribute to those who saved innocent lives, and express our deep sorrow for the dead, the wounded and their families. This mad violence will not break Afghanistan.

“Attacking those who risk their lives to bring development and humanitarian aid to Afghanistan is an unacceptable crime against international law and an affront to the people of Afghanistan and their friends. Our thoughts go out to Jalalabad”.

UNAMA also condemned the attack via Twitter and said “looking into reports of attack outside @save_children Jalalabad. Attacks directed at civilians or aid organizations are clear violations of international humanitarian law and may amount to war crimes.”

The Taliban was quick to distance themselves from the attack. However, Daesh claimed responsibility for the incident late Wednesday afternoon. 

Share this post