Latest news
Thumbnail
Afghanistan

Kabul Blasts Death Toll Rises To 11

At least 11 people were killed and 45 others were wounded in three explosions in Kabul on Thursday, the Ministry of Public Health confirmed. 

The first blast happened when a suicide bomber on a motorbike targeted a bus carrying employees of the Ministry of Mines and Petroleum in Macrorayan-e-Kohna area in the city of Kabul on Thursday morning, killing eight employees including five women and a child and wounding 16 others, a spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, Nusrat Rahimi, said.

“First, a magnetic bomb embedded to a bus exploded, then a suicide bomber detonated his explosives near the bus,” Rahimi said, adding that the third blast was a car bombing near the industrial park in PD9 of Kabul.

Taliban claimed responsivity for the third blast and claimed that they targeted a convoy of the foreign troops.

This comes as six women and a child were killed in a roadside mine blast in eastern Nangarhar province and four others were wounded.

The blast happened while the women wanted to participate at the wedding party in Khogyani district of the province.

US Ambassador to Kabul John Bass condemned today’s explosions in Kabul and said "the perpetrators demonstrated a heinous disregard for the sanctity of human life, democratic values and Afghanistan’s future".

Civilian Casualties in Afghanistan  

On July 15, a senior official of Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC) said that 596 civilians were killed, and 1,892 others wounded in clashes between government forces and the Taliban and other attacks by militants in Afghanistan since the beginning of the current solar year which coincides with March 21, 2019.

The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan said in a quarterly report on April 24 that it has documented high levels of harm to civilians but adds that there has been a 23 percent decrease in overall civilian casualties as compared to the same period last year and is the lowest for a first-quarter since 2013.

The report says the UN documented 1,773 civilian casualties (581 deaths and 1,192 injured), including 582 child casualties (150 deaths and 432 injured) between January 1 and March 31.

In the first quarter of 2018, UNAMA documented 2,305 civilian casualties (799 deaths and 1,506 injured), including 609 child casualties (176 deaths and 433 injured), the report says.

The overall reduction of civilian casualties was driven by a decrease in civilian casualties by suicide improvised explosive device (IED) attacks, the report says.

UNAMA notes the particularly harsh winter conditions during the first three months of the year, which may have contributed to this trend, the report says.

It is unclear whether the decrease in civilian casualties was influenced by any measures taken by parties to the conflict to better protect civilians, or by the ongoing talks between parties to the conflict, the report mentions.

Afghanistan

Kabul Blasts Death Toll Rises To 11

Five women and a child are among those killed in the Kabul blasts, officials said.

Thumbnail

At least 11 people were killed and 45 others were wounded in three explosions in Kabul on Thursday, the Ministry of Public Health confirmed. 

The first blast happened when a suicide bomber on a motorbike targeted a bus carrying employees of the Ministry of Mines and Petroleum in Macrorayan-e-Kohna area in the city of Kabul on Thursday morning, killing eight employees including five women and a child and wounding 16 others, a spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, Nusrat Rahimi, said.

“First, a magnetic bomb embedded to a bus exploded, then a suicide bomber detonated his explosives near the bus,” Rahimi said, adding that the third blast was a car bombing near the industrial park in PD9 of Kabul.

Taliban claimed responsivity for the third blast and claimed that they targeted a convoy of the foreign troops.

This comes as six women and a child were killed in a roadside mine blast in eastern Nangarhar province and four others were wounded.

The blast happened while the women wanted to participate at the wedding party in Khogyani district of the province.

US Ambassador to Kabul John Bass condemned today’s explosions in Kabul and said "the perpetrators demonstrated a heinous disregard for the sanctity of human life, democratic values and Afghanistan’s future".

Civilian Casualties in Afghanistan  

On July 15, a senior official of Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC) said that 596 civilians were killed, and 1,892 others wounded in clashes between government forces and the Taliban and other attacks by militants in Afghanistan since the beginning of the current solar year which coincides with March 21, 2019.

The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan said in a quarterly report on April 24 that it has documented high levels of harm to civilians but adds that there has been a 23 percent decrease in overall civilian casualties as compared to the same period last year and is the lowest for a first-quarter since 2013.

The report says the UN documented 1,773 civilian casualties (581 deaths and 1,192 injured), including 582 child casualties (150 deaths and 432 injured) between January 1 and March 31.

In the first quarter of 2018, UNAMA documented 2,305 civilian casualties (799 deaths and 1,506 injured), including 609 child casualties (176 deaths and 433 injured), the report says.

The overall reduction of civilian casualties was driven by a decrease in civilian casualties by suicide improvised explosive device (IED) attacks, the report says.

UNAMA notes the particularly harsh winter conditions during the first three months of the year, which may have contributed to this trend, the report says.

It is unclear whether the decrease in civilian casualties was influenced by any measures taken by parties to the conflict to better protect civilians, or by the ongoing talks between parties to the conflict, the report mentions.

Share this post