Displaced families and victims of Daesh atrocities in the northern province of Jawzjan on Sunday called on Afghanistan’s legal and judicial institutions to bring the group to justice.
About 250 Daesh fighters handed themselves over to Afghan security forces last week after a fierce battle with the Taliban.
Among the fighters who surrendered were dozens of child and teenage soldiers – under the age of 18.
Residents in Darzab district in Jawzjan have accused the group of having committed war crimes including rape and murder.
These residents also accused Daesh of torture, looting and imprisoning villagers down water wells.
Noor, who was one victim, said: “If the government releases them, we will burn ourselves in front of the governor’s office, because Daesh has committed a lot of atrocities and it is unforgiveable, they torched houses, caste an evil eye towards the people’s dignity and even raped the children.”
This comes a week after Mawlawi Habiburrahman, the military head of Daesh, and his deputy for the northern region of Afghanistan, and 250 of their fighters surrendered to security forces in Jawzjan province.
Local officials said the move happened after heavy clashes broke out between Taliban and Daesh in Darzab.
Habiburrahman is a resident of Darzab and was assigned as the group’s military head for the region a year ago after the death of his predecessor Qari Hekmatullah.
“If there are direct claims against certain people and those who have credible evidence, no one is above the law and the law will be implemented on all,” said Jawzjan governor Lotfullah Azizi.
But, Mawlawi Habiburrahman, the military head of Daesh says that government will ignore their previous deeds.
“The government has made us certain promises, the government has said that we will join the peace process, if the government wants, we will be hired,” said Daesh commander, Mawlawi Habiburrahman.
When asked about human rights violations and reports of Daesh fighters having raped women and children in Darzab district, Mawlawi Habiburrahman said: “If someone comes up with evidence to prove this, we are prepared for the perpetrators to be served justice.”
Darzab has been one of the most insecure districts in the province and has been the scene of heavy clashes in the past three years between government forces, Taliban and Daesh insurgents.
According to the Daesh commander, some foreign nationals – including two French fighters and two Indonesians have joined the Taliban.
“The Taliban came and took over our base, they burnt the houses and escaped and we surrendered to the government,” said one Daesh fighter Abdul Qudoos.
In December, AFP quoting Afghan and international sources, reported that French and Algerian fighters, some arriving from Syria, had joined the ranks of Daesh in the northern Jawzjan province where the militant group had established a new base.
The report said that it was the first time that the presence of French Daesh fighters had been recorded in Afghanistan. At the time analysts also said they expect that foreigners may be heading for the war-torn country after being driven from Syria and Iraq.