Latest news
Thumbnail
Afghanistan

Ghazni Family Claim 16 Killed In Airstrikes

Ghazni governor Wahidullah Kalimzai says he is not aware of airstrikes carried out in Khoshal Mina in Ghazni City.

A family from Ghazni province says that 16 members of their family were killed in airstrikes by government forces during the battle in Ghazni City.

Their house, which was completely destroyed in the bombing, is in Koshhal Mina, a residential area in Ghazni City.

According to them the airstrike was carried out on Tuesday night.

“Sixteen members of our family have been martyred in the airstrikes. Why did the aircrafts not bomb their targets during the day? Why did they do this at night and target people’s houses?” asked a resident of Ghazni.

“We ask government and Taliban to stop the war. People are really tired of this.”

“The airstrikes started at 10pm at night. We tried to find a safe place. They hit my house. I saved myself and my son from inside, from the dust. My wife was wounded on her leg. There were 20 children in our house. They were all with me until dawn when the aircrafts left. Taliban were roaming confidently in our area when I went out of the house,” said another resident whose house was also destroyed in the airstrikes.

This resident said three people from their house are still missing.

Ghazni governor Wahidullah Kalimzai told TOLOnews that he is not aware of any such airstrikes.

“The search operation is still ongoing. The team is working to assess casualties. We have not received such a report so far. I hope that it has not happened. We don’t have reports on civilian casualties due to airstrikes by government or coalition forces. I hope that the incident is not true and civilians and the poor people are not affected,” he said.

The Afghan Red Crescent Society meanwhile said that so far more than 250 bodies have been collected from different parts of Ghazni City.

“In total, 200 to 250 bodies have been taken by the Afghan Red Crescent Society but the number is higher. Bodies are still in some parts of the city, in check posts and in houses. Ten teams of us are busy collecting bodies. There are still bodies,” Samiullah Sediq, head of the regional office of the society in the southwest zone said.

Hundreds of Taliban fighters stormed the city in the early hours of Friday morning and engaged in heavy clashes with security forces for days - before being pushed out on Tuesday.

The worst hit area was PD2, around the Provincial Police Headquarters, which is also a busy market area.

Ghazni police said on Wednesday that Taliban fighters caused a lot of damage in the area after using a civilian house as a stronghold. The house was eventually destroyed in an airstrike in order to eliminate the militants.

A TOLOnews journalist that was in Ghazni on Wednesday said the frontline of the battle had been in PD2 and that according to residents, Taliban also hid in mosques. One of the mosques, where Taliban fighters had been taking cover, is in PD2. Foreign forces targeted it in an airstrike, residents said.

Afghanistan

Ghazni Family Claim 16 Killed In Airstrikes

Ghazni governor Wahidullah Kalimzai says he is not aware of airstrikes carried out in Khoshal Mina in Ghazni City.

Thumbnail

A family from Ghazni province says that 16 members of their family were killed in airstrikes by government forces during the battle in Ghazni City.

Their house, which was completely destroyed in the bombing, is in Koshhal Mina, a residential area in Ghazni City.

According to them the airstrike was carried out on Tuesday night.

“Sixteen members of our family have been martyred in the airstrikes. Why did the aircrafts not bomb their targets during the day? Why did they do this at night and target people’s houses?” asked a resident of Ghazni.

“We ask government and Taliban to stop the war. People are really tired of this.”

“The airstrikes started at 10pm at night. We tried to find a safe place. They hit my house. I saved myself and my son from inside, from the dust. My wife was wounded on her leg. There were 20 children in our house. They were all with me until dawn when the aircrafts left. Taliban were roaming confidently in our area when I went out of the house,” said another resident whose house was also destroyed in the airstrikes.

This resident said three people from their house are still missing.

Ghazni governor Wahidullah Kalimzai told TOLOnews that he is not aware of any such airstrikes.

“The search operation is still ongoing. The team is working to assess casualties. We have not received such a report so far. I hope that it has not happened. We don’t have reports on civilian casualties due to airstrikes by government or coalition forces. I hope that the incident is not true and civilians and the poor people are not affected,” he said.

The Afghan Red Crescent Society meanwhile said that so far more than 250 bodies have been collected from different parts of Ghazni City.

“In total, 200 to 250 bodies have been taken by the Afghan Red Crescent Society but the number is higher. Bodies are still in some parts of the city, in check posts and in houses. Ten teams of us are busy collecting bodies. There are still bodies,” Samiullah Sediq, head of the regional office of the society in the southwest zone said.

Hundreds of Taliban fighters stormed the city in the early hours of Friday morning and engaged in heavy clashes with security forces for days - before being pushed out on Tuesday.

The worst hit area was PD2, around the Provincial Police Headquarters, which is also a busy market area.

Ghazni police said on Wednesday that Taliban fighters caused a lot of damage in the area after using a civilian house as a stronghold. The house was eventually destroyed in an airstrike in order to eliminate the militants.

A TOLOnews journalist that was in Ghazni on Wednesday said the frontline of the battle had been in PD2 and that according to residents, Taliban also hid in mosques. One of the mosques, where Taliban fighters had been taking cover, is in PD2. Foreign forces targeted it in an airstrike, residents said.

Share this post