Latest news
Thumbnail
Afghanistan

15 Killed In Siege Of Govt Compound In Jalalabad

Complex attack in Jalalabad ends after more than six hours with at least 15 dead and as many wounded. 

Provincial officials have confirmed the attack on the directorate of migrants and refugees’ affairs in Jalalabad on Tuesday has ended.

According to them 15 people were killed and as many wounded in the attack that lasted over six hours. 

Officials said a car bomb was detonated close to the entrance of the compound at about 11.30am and was followed by two gunmen storming the building. 

A number of employees were able to escape during the course of the day, but many remained trapped inside. 

Throughout the day gunfire could be heard coming from the area while plumes of black smoke could also be seen soon after the attack started. 

This comes just three days after a complex attack on a midwife training center in Jalalabad.

This attack lasted almost six hours – and claimed the lives of two people. 

On Monday Nangarhar provincial health officials raised concerns over the sharp increase in civilian deaths in the past three months in the province. 

They said 160 people had been killed and over 490 wounded in the province in serious security incidents in this time. 

Provincial council members also raised concerns and said they were extremely worried about the security situation in the city. 

But there has been a string of deadly attacks in the past few months, including the suicide bombing near the governor’s office on the third day of Eid al-Fitr, the attack on the education department and this week’s complex attack on a midwife training center that lasted over five hours.

Among a long list of attacks in recent months, these included the July 1 suicide bombing which killed at least 19 people, mostly from Afghanistan’s Sikh community. 

On June 17, eighteen people were killed – also in a suicide bombing. 

On July 10, another ten people were killed in a suicide bombing – on a police checkpoint.

Afghanistan

15 Killed In Siege Of Govt Compound In Jalalabad

Complex attack in Jalalabad ends after more than six hours with at least 15 dead and as many wounded. 

Thumbnail

Provincial officials have confirmed the attack on the directorate of migrants and refugees’ affairs in Jalalabad on Tuesday has ended.

According to them 15 people were killed and as many wounded in the attack that lasted over six hours. 

Officials said a car bomb was detonated close to the entrance of the compound at about 11.30am and was followed by two gunmen storming the building. 

A number of employees were able to escape during the course of the day, but many remained trapped inside. 

Throughout the day gunfire could be heard coming from the area while plumes of black smoke could also be seen soon after the attack started. 

This comes just three days after a complex attack on a midwife training center in Jalalabad.

This attack lasted almost six hours – and claimed the lives of two people. 

On Monday Nangarhar provincial health officials raised concerns over the sharp increase in civilian deaths in the past three months in the province. 

They said 160 people had been killed and over 490 wounded in the province in serious security incidents in this time. 

Provincial council members also raised concerns and said they were extremely worried about the security situation in the city. 

But there has been a string of deadly attacks in the past few months, including the suicide bombing near the governor’s office on the third day of Eid al-Fitr, the attack on the education department and this week’s complex attack on a midwife training center that lasted over five hours.

Among a long list of attacks in recent months, these included the July 1 suicide bombing which killed at least 19 people, mostly from Afghanistan’s Sikh community. 

On June 17, eighteen people were killed – also in a suicide bombing. 

On July 10, another ten people were killed in a suicide bombing – on a police checkpoint.

Share this post