Army spokesman says only one civilian family had been living in the area and they had been evacuated prior to the bombing.
No Civilians Killed In MOAB Bombing: Army Official
An Afghan army spokesman in Nangarhar, Jawed Saleem, told TOLOnews no civilians had been killed in Thursday night’s bombing against a Daesh stronghold in Nangarhar province.
The bomb, dropped by the U.S Forces, is the largest non-nuclear bombing by the United States.
Saleem said the bomb was dropped in Mohmand Dara village in Chin district in a area between two mountains where Daesh had carved out caves and tunnels for their stronghold.
According to him, there was only one civilian family living in the area and they were evacuated by security forces prior to the bombing.
He said there had been between 40 and 70 fully equipped Daesh fighters in their stronghold at the time of the bombing.
The Chief Executive of the National Unity Government, Abdullah Abdullah, also said on his twitter page that “many families had long been displaced from the area due to ISIS (Daesh) brutality. Government also took great care to avoid civilian harm”.
Meanwhile, the Government’s Media and Information Center said in a tweet that more than 35 Daesh fighters including their commander, Seddiqyar, were killed in the bombing.
Also, Indian media on Friday reported that over 20 people from Kerala, who were lured by Daesh, were feared killed in the U.S’s super bomb.
Indian intelligence agencies said that the last known location of Indian Daesh recruits was Nangarhar, the region where the U.S military dropped its 'Mother Of All Bombs' targeting secret tunnels of the terror group.
General John Nicholson, the head of U.S-led NATO Forces in Afghanistan, said that the bomb was used against caves and bunkers housing fighters of the Islamic State in Afghanistan, also known as Daesh.