Latest news
Thumbnail
Afghanistan

Siege On RTA Ends, Leaving At Least Two Dead

The attack on National Radio Television in Afghanistan (RTA) in Jalalabad city in Nangarhar province on Wednesday ended after about four hours of heavy gun fighting.

The provincial governor’s spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told TOLOnews that there had been five attackers in total.

One was a suicide bomber who blew himself up, three were killed by security forces and the fifth was arrested, said Khogyani.

Daesh meanwhile claimed responsibility for the attack shortly after the Taliban rejected any involvement.

The attack ended at about 2pm, four hours after attackers stormed the state-run TV building.

Officials said they are now conducting a cleaning operation in the immediate area.

The response had been a joint operation between Afghan special forces, army personnel, National Directorate of Security (NDS) soldiers and police. While earlier on Wednesday a row of ambulances was seen parked in the nearby vicinity waiting to transport wounded to hospital.

Khogyani confirmed two people were killed and at least 14 injured.

They were taken to the local Jalalabad hospital, he said.

The attack took place close to the governor’s building and local police headquarters.

This comes amid ongoing efforts by the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) in conjunction with NATO-led troops to clear the province of Daesh.

Last month U.S forces dropped a Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB) bomb on a Daesh tunnel system in Achin district of the province. At least 90 militants were killed in the operation.

Soon after, Afghan troops launched a clearance operation to oust the insurgents and earlier this month, troops managed to destroy Daesh radio station, which they were using to promote themselves and recruit new members.

Afghanistan

Siege On RTA Ends, Leaving At Least Two Dead

The provincial governor’s spokesman said five insurgents had attacked the TV station and that four were killed and one was arrested.

Thumbnail

The attack on National Radio Television in Afghanistan (RTA) in Jalalabad city in Nangarhar province on Wednesday ended after about four hours of heavy gun fighting.

The provincial governor’s spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told TOLOnews that there had been five attackers in total.

One was a suicide bomber who blew himself up, three were killed by security forces and the fifth was arrested, said Khogyani.

Daesh meanwhile claimed responsibility for the attack shortly after the Taliban rejected any involvement.

The attack ended at about 2pm, four hours after attackers stormed the state-run TV building.

Officials said they are now conducting a cleaning operation in the immediate area.

The response had been a joint operation between Afghan special forces, army personnel, National Directorate of Security (NDS) soldiers and police. While earlier on Wednesday a row of ambulances was seen parked in the nearby vicinity waiting to transport wounded to hospital.

Khogyani confirmed two people were killed and at least 14 injured.

They were taken to the local Jalalabad hospital, he said.

The attack took place close to the governor’s building and local police headquarters.

This comes amid ongoing efforts by the Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) in conjunction with NATO-led troops to clear the province of Daesh.

Last month U.S forces dropped a Massive Ordnance Air Blast (MOAB) bomb on a Daesh tunnel system in Achin district of the province. At least 90 militants were killed in the operation.

Soon after, Afghan troops launched a clearance operation to oust the insurgents and earlier this month, troops managed to destroy Daesh radio station, which they were using to promote themselves and recruit new members.

Share this post