Kabul’s PD9 police chief Bismillah Taban on Monday said Sunday’s road accident allegedly involving foreign forces in Kabul did not result in the death of a schoolchild as reported.
The police chief said the schoolchild had been a boy, and not a girl, and that he was not dead but was being treated in hospital.
The Ministry of Interior said on Sunday a schoolgirl had been killed as a result of a traffic accident allegedly involving foreign forces on the airport road.
No details were released by police on Monday on the schoolboy’s condition.
Immediately after the incident, however angry residents and school children converged at the scene to express their anger over the issue.
The crowd became angry after police reportedly allowed the foreign forces’ convoy to leave the area.
“A vehicle in a foreign forces’ convoy ran over a student; police in PD6 let the foreigners go and then they instead opened fire on the people,” said one protestor who refused to be named.
“A foreign forces’ convoy was moving in the wrong direction,” said another protestor.
“They (foreign forces) ran over the student and the police opened fire on us and arrested several people,” protestor Yama said.
“The police are supposed to provide security to the students,” said another protestor at the scene.
Interior ministry officials said a delegation had been sent to the area to investigate the incident.