The attack happened during Friday prayers at the Army HQ in Balkh province – the second such attack on a military installation in two months
Eight Dead After Insurgents Breach Army Headquarters
Two security force Ranger vehicles managed to penetrate multiple layers of protection at the Afghan National Army’s 209 Shaheen Corps Headquarters in Balkh province on Friday afternoon, local officials confirmed adding eight people were killed and 10 wounded.
A number of fighters made their way to the onsite mosque where Friday prayers were underway.
Officials said the attack started at about 1.30pm and a gunfight ensued lasting for at least five hours.
Security forces managed to kill all attackers, officials confirmed.
TOLOnews journalist, Aref Musawi said the area had been sealed off and journalists were not allowed near the attack scene.
Local officials earlier said as many as 10 people were killed but revised the death toll to eight once the siege ended.
This is the second massive attack on a military installation in recent months.
Two months ago, insurgents attacked the Sardar Mohammad Daoud military hospital in Kabul killing at least 50 people.
This attack drew widespread condemnation at the time, with the Wolesi Jirga (lower house of parliament) severely criticizing government over its failure to prevent such an attack, saying such attacks on highly-secured compounds "shame the government".