The Interior Ministry confirmed that government forces retook the control of Kohistan district in Badakhshan province, in the northeast of Afghanistan, on Saturday evening.
The district fallen to the Taliban on Thursday evening.
Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danish told TOLOnews that the Taliban suffered heavy losses in the military operation.
He said the operation will continue to clear all the district from militants.
He did not provide more details on the military operation.
The Ministry of Defense on Friday said Commando troops have arrived at Kohistan to help other forces in the area.
Badakhshan Police Chief Abdul Khaliq Aqsai said the commando troops landed in Kohistan district at midnight on Thursday.
Taliban has not commented on the report so far.