Latest news
Thumbnail
Afghanistan

MoI Wraps Up Probe Into Kabul Hotel Attack

The ministry said the task team’s findings into last month’s deadly attack will be sent to the president before being made public. 

The Ministry of Interior (MoI) on Tuesday said the investigation into the Intercontinental Hotel attack has wrapped up and the findings will be sent to the president. 

The attack took place late last month and the ensuing 17-hour siege left at least 43 people dead and dozens more wounded. 

According to the MoI’s deputy spokesman Nusrat Rahimi, the special commission tasked to investigate the incident will send its report to President Ashraf Ghani before being made public.

“A joint commission of the ministry of interior and national directorate of security has completed its investigation, the outcomes will be shared with the president and later it will be made public,” said Rahimi. 

Meanwhile, the hotel’s management said repair work to the hotel has started. They said the hotel will reopen in about six weeks. 

This came as journalists were allowed to enter the hotel on Tuesday for the first time since the attack. 

Footage captured shows the 4th and 5th floors of the hotel sustained extensive damage. 

According to hotel management, all the security cameras were working on the day of the attack and footage recorded from the incident was handed over to the investigation team. 

“A contract has been signed between the ministry of urban development and housing and the ministry of finance; the renovation work started two days ago and will be completed in one and a half months,” said Sulaiman Ayoubi, head of the finance department for the Intercontinental Hotel.  

The attack on the hotel took place only 21 days after the security of the hotel was handed over to a private security firm. 

Sources have said that there is a possibility that the security firm will be dissolved. 

At least 173 guests were in their rooms on the night the Taliban stormed the building. The siege lasted 17 hours and resulted in the death of at least 43 people.

The Intercontinental Hotel opened in 1969 and sits on a hill top overlooking the city. It has panoramic views of Kabul city, Bagh-e- bala 'Amir Abdurahman's summer palace' and the Hindu Kush mountains.

Afghanistan

MoI Wraps Up Probe Into Kabul Hotel Attack

The ministry said the task team’s findings into last month’s deadly attack will be sent to the president before being made public. 

Thumbnail

The Ministry of Interior (MoI) on Tuesday said the investigation into the Intercontinental Hotel attack has wrapped up and the findings will be sent to the president. 

The attack took place late last month and the ensuing 17-hour siege left at least 43 people dead and dozens more wounded. 

According to the MoI’s deputy spokesman Nusrat Rahimi, the special commission tasked to investigate the incident will send its report to President Ashraf Ghani before being made public.

“A joint commission of the ministry of interior and national directorate of security has completed its investigation, the outcomes will be shared with the president and later it will be made public,” said Rahimi. 

Meanwhile, the hotel’s management said repair work to the hotel has started. They said the hotel will reopen in about six weeks. 

This came as journalists were allowed to enter the hotel on Tuesday for the first time since the attack. 

Footage captured shows the 4th and 5th floors of the hotel sustained extensive damage. 

According to hotel management, all the security cameras were working on the day of the attack and footage recorded from the incident was handed over to the investigation team. 

“A contract has been signed between the ministry of urban development and housing and the ministry of finance; the renovation work started two days ago and will be completed in one and a half months,” said Sulaiman Ayoubi, head of the finance department for the Intercontinental Hotel.  

The attack on the hotel took place only 21 days after the security of the hotel was handed over to a private security firm. 

Sources have said that there is a possibility that the security firm will be dissolved. 

At least 173 guests were in their rooms on the night the Taliban stormed the building. The siege lasted 17 hours and resulted in the death of at least 43 people.

The Intercontinental Hotel opened in 1969 and sits on a hill top overlooking the city. It has panoramic views of Kabul city, Bagh-e- bala 'Amir Abdurahman's summer palace' and the Hindu Kush mountains.

Share this post