An International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) staff member who was abducted on 19 December in Kunduz province, has been released, the ICRC said Monday.
The man, Juan Carlos, was abducted while traveling from the ICRC office in Kunduz to the office in Mazar-i-Sharif. He had been traveling with three other colleagues at the time but only he was kidnapped.
ICRC thanked all authorities and the communities who played a role in facilitating their colleague's release.
"We are relieved and grateful that Juan Carlos is now back with us, safe and sound," said the ICRC head of delegation in Afghanistan, Monica Zanarelli.
ICRC did not comment on the identity of the abductors, their motives or the details of the release due to security reasons.
ICRC has provided medical care, and supported water and sanitation services for 30 years in Afghanistan and acts as a neutral intermediary to enable humanitarian work to take place throughout the country.